Soup February 9, 2010Posted by Janet & Hich in : SANDWHICH musings , trackback
Two Menu Items –
1) 1/2 & 1/2 — half tuna or chicken salad + cup of soup + chips + Antidepressant Chocolate Chip Cookie (capitalized for obvious reasons) + water or coffee = $9.99
This is a fun way to sample our wares, especially the soup and coffee right now when everything is so freezing and miserable outside. Or, for extra warming-up-ness:
2) Soup & Salad — Nice Green Salad + Bowl of Soup + grilled bread = $9.99 (new arrival to our specials menu)
Read on for
Janet Elaborating on Stuff:
Have you tried our 1/2 & 1/2 option at Sandwhich? I had it today and it was just the thing.
My 1/2 & 1/2 today:
1. Half a chicken salad sandwich — the whole wheat bread on the sandwich was all grilledy and nutty as it should be, and the chicken salad inside, with the crunch of
fine-diced veggies, was a little bit perfect.
2. Cup of our famous Split Pea Soup with drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a freshly-roasted cumin-scented crouton — this soup is so cozy and delicious.
3. I ate my chips in about fourteen seconds. They were good with the coffee because they have the perfect amount of salt.
4. The cookie was crunchy and the chocolate chips, flown in from France (no kidding!), work really well with the toasted seeds. And anyway, the seeds make me feel virtuous.
5. The coffee just plain old warmed me up.
If you’re in the mood for Soup & Salad instead of a 1/2 & 1/2, there is one thing I want you to know: our salads are not pre-made and refrigerated in their own bowl, which, in my opinion, makes the freezingest salad ever. There’s a pizza place I like where I often order salad (to “heal” me from the pizza-eating) and it always comes icy, icy cold. It hurts my teeth. It bothers my brain. I much prefer a salad served closer to room temp. Don’t get us wrong — we refrigerate our lettuce (horrors, if we didn’t!), but then we pull the (locally-grown) lettuce out and dress it nicely with not too much dressing and we salt it just right, and then we layer the leaves on a nice warm-ish plate and that’s why we call it the Nice Green Salad, because that’s exactly what it is: a nice green salad. Eaten alongside a whole bowl of our Split Pea Soup, or maybe our Black Bean Soup, or whatever you might choose from our offerings that day, and you’ll just be a plain-old really happy person.
I know that’s presumptuous, but it’s true.
If you did get the soup and salad, then you should probably chase it with a brownie at the end. I mean, you were SO GOOD consuming all that healthy stuff, just have a brownie, you know?
Cheers, and good luck braving the evil cold.